Thursday, March 1, 2012

GAME: I and Y


I found a great little game over at YouthLeaderStash.com called I and Y that I tried out with my students last night, and it was super fun! Here's a copy from their site (by the way, their website is AWESOME and you should check it out by clicking right here!!):

"To play this game, you will need a room or space that has boundaries and is open and uncluttered. You can use all your students to play this game.

Select one person to be “it.” The person who is “it” is the “I” and everyone else are the “Y’s.” The tagger raises his or her arms straight above their head to make his or her self into an “I” and everyone else puts their arms above their heads in the shape of a “Y.” The goal is to be one of the “Y’s” at the end of the game. The goal of the “I” is to tag someone else so that they are no longer the “I” but one of the “Y’s.” The “I” has to collide with the “Y’s” and bump them with something other than his or her hands so that someone else is “it” and becomes the “I.” In this easy-to-learn game of tag, the “I” has to bump a “Y” (“bump” not tackle, kick, whack or smash) to no longer be “it.” The game can be played for as long as you can allow. Fix a set time and put on a timer so that everyone knows how long they have to try to be a “Y” and not the “I”."


I made a few little tweaks to the game:

- Players - ALL players - can only take little shuffle baby steps.

- While a player is moving, they must say what they are in addition to keeping their hands up.  So, I's say "i-i-i-i-i-i" and Y's says "why-why-why-why-why."  This, combined with the baby-steps, makes for some HILARIOUS looking kids!

- The "bump" of another player is only a sideways hip bump.  NOTHING ELSE.  It seemed like it could turn inappropriate really quick, so I made this a rule.

All in all, it turned out really fun.  Try it and let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment